January 5, 2010
Green New Year's Resolutions
Some hope to lose weight
Some to be better men
Why not pledge to be greener
in the year two-thousand ten?
Smart2begreen's goal is to bring awareness to the multitude of small steps we can all make to help benefit our lives as well as the environment. Here are some simple changes you can make all year long as part of your Green New Year's Resolutions:
- Recycle more! Some smaller recycling kiosks only take bottles and cans, but did you know full recycling centers take cereal boxes, junk mail, phone books and even your old electronics?
- Take your own lunch to work in a reusable bag or container - save money, create less waste and savor last night's yummy leftovers today!
- Buy a shopping bag...or four. Many stores, such as Ralph's and Target, are now giving you cash back for carrying reusable shopping bags. Cutting out the paper and plastic gives you a more durable and comfortable way of carrying your groceries while also reducing waste and allowing you to earn money.
- Use cloth napkins. Every time your family does, you save money (and trees).
- Carpool. Next time you're hanging out with friends, ask to carpool. Split the cost of gas and parking and minimize pollution at the same time!
- Shop organic. Fresh and natural foods taste great, benefit local farmers and don't contain harmful chemicals, antibiotics and pesticides that are detrimental to the environment.
Treehugger offers a giant list of tips on how to go green to help guide you through your new year.
Browse through Smart2begreen's past tips to learn a year's worth of ways in which you can be more green.